3.06.2007

Dear Auntie...Intriguing Letter from 1917 rural Ohio


This letter was part of 8 lbs. of ephemera I won in an eBay auction last year. It was by far the most interesting thing in the entire lot. I'm fascinated by it. The author has such a strong personality and it reads like a movie. Some of my favorite sections: "You was so kind and patient with my dear father throu his last sickness, and all thro your marriade life. He had lived alone so much and had ways of his own. In more ways than one (his towels) etc." His TOWELS? There's a story.

-and-

"“NO” I never shall forget the money you & father let me have for Nellies eyes. I always knew that he let me have it. “God bless you.” Tears fill my eyes so I can hardly see to write when I think of your kindness so much good those glasses done her, next day she looked out the window, and said why ma, I never saw that path through the pasture before (poor child),"

I can only imagine who "Myra" is and what her life was like. If I were a writer, this would be great material. Please use it if you are.

I had a hard time reading a few of the words in this, let me know if you have better luck.

"Albion July 18.1914.

My Dear Friend.

I just rec’d your good long letter and we all ever glad to hear from you. But dear Auntie you did not understand me in my last letter if you think I ment you was aserieious (? a serious ?) for money. I did not mean that, I only thought what a task on you to see about building a house. How the planning and hiering the workman etc. would all be so tiresome to you. No indeed I never for one moment though of anything else.


I know I said peace & poverty for me, for I am not capable nor never so to plan and do what you do. You are a smart and capable woman, but at your age I ondly thought how you ought to have it easy and restful, if I wrote anything that hurt your feelings I ask your pardon. I did not mean to it through ignorance. Believe me dear, for I love you and always have. You was so kind and patient with my dear father throu his last sickness, and all thro your marriade life. He had lived alone so much and had ways of his own. In more ways than one (his towels) etc. I well remember and you kept sweet through it all. I think he thought the world of you two.

“NO”I never shall forget the money you & father let me have for Nellies eyes. I always knew that he let me have it. “God bless you.” Tears fill my eyes so I can hardly see to write when I think of your kindness who much good those glasses done her, next day she looked out the window, and said why ma, I never saw that path through the pasture before (poor child),

and as far as the setelment of fathers property is or was conserned, I never knew but you got your share. Ondly in the wood lot that was our mothers given to her by her father, then when we were mere children. Given to father to keep for us until we were older and he never did anything about it, but had it with the rest of his land. I never gave it a thought, but what we three children were entiteled to it -) you made fathers life so much happier and was so good to him, I wish you had a share in the wood lot too.

but the money is invested in something now, and gone, I wish you had taken the law and got all the law would have allowed you, as father wanted you to have. I well remember when father intredused me to you as his wife how much I liked you. We then lived on the Hathaway Place you and Hedrose over with your horse & buggy. Do you remember) You looked quite young then & you had your hair crimped & done up so pretty. Then I remember when Mary visited you once what a misunderstanding there was some way. And how badly you felt. And at the time how badly I felt for you.

Adalene ondly had 14 insertation cards to send away at her graduation, neither of my sisters gave her anything. Allso several others, but she said she did not send them to get something back, however she had quite nice presents:

A braslet
Bead chain
4 dollors
4 books
smeling salts

Please write to me soon. Myra.

Now dear Auntie I will close hope this will find you usuly well as it leaves me or us at present. We did not give Adalene a present because her closthes cost us more than usual. So did not have the money. I thank you for thinking of her but do not get her anything.

Dear Auntie, do not send Adalene anything, unless you find some goods cheap, for a fall or winter dress, with the narrow skirt 7 yards is a great plenty, She does not need shoes, nothing until fall.
Myra. (over)

PS. Her gradation closthes are nice for her all summer. She had a white trimed in lace for to graduate in for alumni a marquesett (??), She gave the saluditory, and had to look nice, and she did."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow wowee wow. What an incredible letter. There are parts that should definitely be in a monologue.
Angie